Monday, July 6, 2009

Old Men I

This is the first part of a two-part case. This part is easy; the next one is tricky.

A 70 year old man with type II diabetes presents to a regular doctor's appointment complaining of a gradual onset of urinary symptoms. "I have to pee way more than I used to. I'm not drinking more water, so it doesn't make sense. I usually wake up 4 times at night to go to the bathroom. And not only that, when I want to pee, not much comes out and the stream is pretty weak." He does not complain of any neurologic symptoms, hematuria, or pain. There is no history of urethral trauma or surgery. The only medication he takes is a baby aspirin and metformin. There is a positive family history.

Challenge: The pathology is shown above. What's the most likely diagnosis?

Image shown under fair use.

2 comments:

Steph said...

bph

Craig said...

yes, I know, too easy - see part II.
-
Old Men I

This is benign prostatic hyperplasia.

Sources: UpToDate; cit.ucsf.edu.