Monday, June 14, 2010

Used to be an Insecticide

Cases are now Monday and Thursday rather than Monday, Wednesday, Friday. See announcement below this post.
A 25 year man is brought into the emergency department by his friends because he is "acting weird." The patient is irritable, angry, and restless. He says, "I can't concentrate or sleep. I'm anxious and sad. I keep eating. I quit 3 days ago, but I can't handle it. This is too much. My friends say I'm going to gain weight and get depressed too."

Challenge: What did he quit?

Image is in the public domain.

4 comments:

sid said...

He quit smoking....All are symptoms of nicotine withdrawal... A variant of nicotine was used as an insecticide earlier....

Res ipsa loquiter said...

He quit Smoking...he's experiencing nicotine withdrawal

Elden said...

The alkaloid known as nicotine.

I.e. Cigarettes

Craig said...

awesome!
-
Used to be an Insecticide

This is nicotine withdrawal.

Sources: UpToDate; Wikipedia.